With all the news about the condition of the dam at Buckeye Lake, flood insurance has been getting a lot of attention recently.
Here’s a few things you should know about flood insurance:
- Almost no homeowners policies cover flood – no coverage at all.
- If you live in a flood zone, your mortgage company will require you to purchase flood insurance, and keep it in force.
- Flood insurance is generally only available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP), but it is sold through insurance companies by local agents. There are a few non-government programs available.
- You can purchase flood insurance even if you no longer have a mortgage that requires it.
- Depending on the location of your home, you may be able to purchase flood insurance even if your bank does not require it.
For those of you in the Buckeye Lake area, here are some resources you may want to keep an eye on as the government continues to make plans concerning the dam:
About Dennis & Nelson Insurance Group
Dennis & Nelson Insurance Group is a professional independent insurance agency serving Central and East Central Ohio: Crooksville, Zanesville and Columbus. We take pride in the communities we are in and strive to treat all our clients as a member of the Dennis & Nelson Insurance Group family.